Explore Software Development
Thinking about a new career in software development? Start here! In this workshop, you’ll get a taste of a day in the life of a software developer.
This workshop teaches an introduction to HTML and CSS, so learners can create their first web page. Code 101 is about learning what it looks like to be a software developer through a day-long immersive workshop for beginners that focuses on front-end web development technologies.
Learners will understand how HTML and CSS programming languages work together to render the modern web, given an explanation and deconstruction of a popular website. They will code a simple HTML website, given a pre-existing mockup, instructor guidance, and coding snippets, to easily see the results of their coding work. They will also collaborate with other learners, given a facilitated whiteboarding activity, in order to understand the dynamics of being a developer in a professional work environment. Furthermore, they will deploy a website and be able to share their workshop accomplishments with their friends and family. Finally, they will identify whether a career in coding and the Code Fellows program is right for them, given their experience throughout the workshop and their impressions gained from listening to instructors and TAs share their stories.
At the end of this workshop, you will:
- Understand the basics of what it means to be a professional software developer.
- Understand how HTML and CSS work together to create the modern web.
- Create a complete website.
- Know how to deploy your website and be able to share your accomplishments with friends and family.
- Be able to identify whether a career in coding and the Code Fellows program is right for you.
Everyone who wants to learn about software development.
Method of Instruction
This workshop mixes instruction and lab throughout its full day length. The instructor explains topics to the learners and then asks learners to work together to apply the topics to complete assignments.
Completion Criteria and Award
This workshop is not graded and there are no completion requirements.
The Modern Web
- How the pieces work together
- Structuring your information
- Connecting web pages
- Sharing your web site
- Integrating style sheets
- Modifying CSS styles
The Tech Industry
- A typical day for a software developer
- Common job titles
- The path to becoming a web or mobile developer
You are required to supply your own laptop, Chromebook, or iPad with a keyboard.